Thursday, April 30, 2009

My First Horse Riding Lesson (in Malaysia)

On my birthday (Saturday), I woke just after the sun had risen to go to Malaysia for my first horse riding lesson with my friends. They were Christian, Ekklesia, Ariel, Ecclesia, Seraphina, Anastasia (a baby) and Noah (a toddler). The riding school we were going to was called Riders' Lodge. We had a long ride in our friend’s car. During the journey, we talked mostly about horses.



When we reached the riding school, we went to the stable to look at the horses. There were horses in every stall. The horses were of different colours. We saw that some horses were outside being ridden. We went out to look at other adults ride their horses while the smaller kids went for their pony rides.

We went to the reception area to get a drink. It was cold and sweet, just nice for a warm day. We drove out to find a coffee shop nearby to have lunch. When we came back from lunch, we went to the jacuzzi to play. I had a fun time playing with my friends.

After that we had a snack of biscuits. We went to look at the horses again and to write down the names of the horses. I found that the horse I would be riding was Snappy, Bailey's was Impian and mummy's was Kimba.

Snappy was a white-coated horse, Impian was brown and Kimba was white too. I was very scared not just because the horse was tall but because we saw a stranger crying and hurt. She had fallen down from her horse and was talking about her broken tooth. I was a little worried because Snappy sounded like a horse that might snap at me!

I got up Snappy by climbing up two steps on a wooden stair. At first, an instructor walked beside me. He gave me a whip to whip Snappy and then I controlled the horse alone. The instructor told me to sit up straight and hold the reins up. I had to kick Snappy with my heels to make him walk. I felt very tall, taller then Snappy. The instructor told me to stop the horse from walking by saying "whoa" and tugging at the reins at the same time. She told me to make the horse turn by kicking the opposite side and pulling the reins on the side I want to turn.

One by one we went to the centre of the corral (the fenced up area where we had our lesson) to practice trotting. We needed to stand up and down while we trotted. I was very wobbly. Snappy went very fast around the instructor. I felt like if Snappy went any faster, I would fall off!

In between our lesson, Seraphina had another pony ride. When she came back, we were not done with our lessons yet. So she went to feed the horses. Before we ended the lesson, we went out of the corral to ride around a pond nearby. Then the lesson ended.

When we got off our horses, took off our helmets and were walking back to the chairs beside the jacuzzi where the father s were siting, I saw Seraphina crying. Mummy told me that she was bitten by a horse on her arm when she wanted to feed it. That horse's name was Arterial. He is known to be very moody. We went to a room to comfort Seraphina and to put aloe vera on her bruised arm.

We drove for a long time to a restaurant and settled down to have a delicious dinner. After dinner, we played catching at a playground. Then we drove back home to Singapore. I enjoyed the day very much.

2 comments: